In Microsoft Office 2010 (v. 14), PowerPoint brings his users a new service: Broadcast SlideShow.
This service allows the users to display PowerPoint presentations from various locations to various locations.
By default, this service uses PowerPoint Web App from SkyDrive.
To create a new broadcast service you need a server that can host Office Web Apps, but, in the same time, to permit an administrator to create a new broadcast service.
The following steps are available only for E plans from Office 365.
How to do it?
1. On the Admin page click on Manage (from the SharePoint Online section).
2. Click on Manage site collections link.
3. From the Site Collections category click on New – Private Site Collection.
4. In the newly opened properties window, fill in the following:
Enterprise tab – PowerPoint Broadcast Site template;
5. The new site will be created in a few seconds and it will appear in the Site Collections list.
6. If you want to modify user rights, just copy the site link and paste it into a new browser tab.
Now, in PowerPoint go into the Slide Show tab and click on Broadcast SlideShow.
In the Broadcast SlideShow window click on Change Broadcast Service command button.
To add the new service click on Add a new service and paste de link from step 5.
After doing all those steps, you can now start the broadcast, using the new service.
As a bonus, you can make the new service as a default broadcast service.
– Start – Run – gpedit.msc;
– User Configuration – Administrative Templates – Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 – Broadcast – Broadcast Services.
– Put a check mark on Enabled;
– Name: – service name
– Service URL: – broadcast page;
– optionally you can add a description, a information URL and a service agreement URL.
If you restart the broadcast, the new service will be set as default.
The generated link for the broadcast now contains the custom broadcast page created in SharePoint 2010.